WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO CONTROL A FUNERAL?
The State of New Jersey has a clear succession for the right to control a funeral. They are listed in order. If one is not present or desiring to make decisions, it passes to the next on the list:.
- Funeral Agent as designated in the appropriate legal channels
- Legal Spouse, NJ registered domestic or civil union partner
- Majority of surviving children over 18
- Survivng parent(s) of the decedent
- Majority of surviving siblings over 18
- Other relatives according to the degree of relationship
- If there are no known living relatives, other interested parties may act on the behalf of the decedent (friends, neighbors, colleagues)